May 25, 2024

Nobody could accuse the champs of relaxing on their laurels. After winning their first league title since 2017 last season, the club that bought one of Newcastle United’s rising stars on loan in the summer transfer window is seeing the crown slip from their grasp.

Despite the best efforts of Yankuba Minteh, ‘very dangerous’ but unreliable in the Netherlands, the difference between Arne Slot’s Feyenoord and Peter Bosz’s PSV Eindhoven is nine points with only six games remaining.

However, with Feyenoord having already confirmed their first signing of the new season nearly two months before the window opens, Slot’s side appears to be wasting no time in attempting to recover from a poor title defence.

Yankuba Minteh set for Newcastle United chance

HITC reported in March that Newcastle, despite Feyenoord’s wish to keep Minteh for another season, had decided to bring the former Odense youngster back to St James’ Park, giving him an opportunity to compete for a starting berth.

Minteh, while receiving some criticism during his time in Holland, has an excellent eight goals to show for De Kuip in 2023/24.

And, with Feyenoord revealing a few days ago that Anis Hadj-Moussa will join following a strong spell at Vitesse Arnhem, the Rotterdam giants look to have conceded defeat and given up hope on Minteh. Hadj-Moussa, another left-footed right-winger, appears to be a direct replacement for Newcastle’s loanee.

“At Feyenoord, they think Hadj-Moussa is a very interesting player who needs to continue to develop in De Kuip,” explains reporter Valentijn Driessen. The silky Algerian is supposedly signing for roughly £3.5 million (Het Nieuwsblad).

“As many others have done before under the reign of Arne Slot in Rotterdam.”

Minteh, who has been compared to Lionel Messi by some during his explosive period in Denmark, will provide further depth in the attacking areas at an injured Newcastle. His rise as a first-team player may raise more worries about Miguel Almiron’s future, with FFP-impacted Newcastle eager to explore offers from Saudi Arabia for the popular Paraguayan.

‘Extremely dangerous’

Feyenoord attacker reveals how surprise Newcastle deal was done; talented  winger hints at possible summer move

 

“Newcastle United will discuss (Minteh’s future) in April,” Feyenoord CEO Dennis Te Kloese told Algemeen Dagblad. “But he is getting better. His speed is astounding, yet he’s still so young.

Minteh scored a crucial goal in a 2-2 draw with PSV earlier this spring, just days after his brace propelled Feyenoord over Almere City.

“He has made an excellent impression in recent weeks,” says Feyenoord’s Bayern Munich-linked head coach Slot to Voetbal International.

“He showed again (vs PSV) why Newcastle were willing to pay so much money for him.”

Newcastle will meet Fulham at 3 p.m. this afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *