July 16, 2024

Sergio Reguilon was sent off early at Turf Moor, prompting a five-minute pause for VAR to review an offside in the build-up.
Former referee Mike Dean was taken aback by a puzzling VAR incident in the Premier League while serving as a pundit on Soccer Saturday.

The retired man in the center appeared on Sky Sports to analyze Burnley’s match against Brentford at Turf Moor on Saturday.

The Clarets are facing relegation back to the Championship, but Vincent Kompany’s team improved their prospects of staying up with a 2-1 win over the Bees.

Sergio Reguilon was sent off in the first half for a foul on Vitinho, and Jacob Bruun Larsen converted the penalty.

After the break, Chelsea loanee David Fofana extended Burnley’s advantage, and despite Kristoffer Ajer’s late header halving the deficit, the Clarets held on for a crucial three points.

Kompany’s side is now eight points from safety, with nine games remaining when the Premier League returns after the international break.

Former referee Dean was in the Soccer Saturday studio as events unfolded at Turf Moor, and he was convinced that Reguilon’s challenge on Vitinho deserved a penalty kick after Darren Bond went to the pitch-side monitor to observe the incident.

He said, “He kneed him in the back of the leg, and there was also a push. Paul Tierney is the VAR, and he has sent Darren across.

“It will be an interesting decision really because if the penalty stands, he has made no attempt to play the ball so it could be a potential red card, too.”



Premier League on X: "It's all going on at Turf Moor 😱 ⏰ 8' Vitinho  awarded a penalty for Burnley 😬 ⏰ 9' Sergio Reguilon sent off Brentford 🟥  ⏰ 10' Jacob


However, confusion ensued since nothing could be seen on the VAR monitor, and Dean delivered his conclusion on what was happening from his perspective.

He explained, “It’s hooked in, but there are no photos right now.

“It’s not the fault of the refs or the VAR, it’s actually the people running the system, so something technical went wrong somewhere.”

However, the five-minute halt was caused by the VAR analyzing a suspected offside in the build-up to the penalty decision, and Sky Sports later confirmed that the system was working properly.

The important thing is that they got there in the end.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *