April 18, 2024

Newcastle United may sell Jamaal Lascelles and Ryan Fraser in order to raise funds when the transfer window reopens this summer.
Newcastle United ‘will be open to offers’ for Jamaal Lascelles, despite extending his contract just months before the summer transfer window, and journalist Ben Jacobs has told GIVEMESPORT that Ryan Fraser could also leave St James’ Park permanently after spending the season on loan with Southampton.

Magpies chief executive Darren Eales has admitted that outgoings will need to be sanctioned due to the risk of violating the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules, potentially resulting in a makeover for head coach Eddie Howe’s squad before the 2024/25 season begins.

The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, which secured a buyout of Newcastle United by signing a £305 million agreement with then-owner Mike Ashley in October 2021, is supervising plans after failing to qualify for the Champions League during a disappointing season.

Howe Wants to Keep Lascelles Leadership Qualities Despite Spending Issues

According to the Northern Echo, Howe is hopeful of retaining Lascelles’ services for next season after opting to trigger a 12-month extension written into the central defender’s contract earlier this month, but Newcastle are aware that suitors may test their resolve when the transfer window opens again.

According to the source, the Magpies captain, who has made 25 appearances in all competitions this season, has remained important both on and off the pitch, despite Besiktas’ attempts to turn his head and pull him away from St James’ Park in early 2024.

It is understood that the Turkish club identified Lascelles as a target after noticing him fall behind Sven Botman and Fabian Schar in Newcastle’s backline, but they were unable to complete a deal despite having the option to tie him down to a pre-contract agreement prior to his one-year extension.

Although transfer expert Fabrizio Romano previously told GIVEMESPORT that Newcastle were open to selling Lascelles in the final days of the winter window, proposals did not meet their expectations before the deadline, and he ended up staying on Tyneside for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, Fraser has admitted that he wants to stay at Southampton after joining the Championship promotion-chasers on a season-long loan in August, with him pushing to finalise the move to the south coast due to a lack of regular game time on Tyneside.

The 29-year-old Scotland international, who is paid around £70,000 per week, has played a key role in Russell Martin’s Saints’ quest to return to the Premier League at the first time of asking after being relegated last season.

Ben Jacobs – Magpies Could be Forced to Sell Lascelles and Fraser

Newcastle United - Jamaal Lascelles

 

Jacobs believes Newcastle will be willing to offload Lascelles when the transfer window reopens in the summer, as their final Premier League position may compel Howe to part ways with the £55,000-per-week earner, despite his want to maintain his leadership skills.

The acclaimed writer has refused to rule out Fraser joining the 30-year-old in leaving, while Kieran Trippier, Callum Wilson, and Bruno Guimaraes may all receive bids after being pursued in January.

Jacobs told GIVEMESPORT:

“I think Newcastle will be looking at outgoings in the summer. Lascelles is very well-liked and offers leadership off the field as well, so I don’t think they’ve renewed his contract only to sell him.

“But, depending on where Newcastle finish in the Premier League, I think their hand may be forced a little bit, so they will be open to offers.

“Ryan Fraser is another name that could depart. I think we could also come back to the names that were mentioned in January, as far as outgoings are concerned, for Newcastle.”

Newcastle Concerned Isak Could Leave in Summer

Newcastle ace Alexander Isak ruled of Sweden's Euro qualifier due to injury  | Goal.com Nigeria

 

According to GIVEMESPORT sources, Newcastle are concerned that Alexander Isak will attract a lot of attention this summer, and Arsenal are the most likely suitors to put their resolve to the test, as Gunners manager Mikel Arteta is looking for an upgrade on Gabriel Jesus and Eddie Nketiah after another Premier League title challenge.

It is understood that the north Londoners have long admired the Sweden international, having tried to beat the Magpies to his signature when he left Real Sociedad in August 2022, but they have yet to make a formal approach despite their strong desire to bring him to the Emirates Stadium.

Although Arsenal are lining up a move to sign Isak for up to £80 million, their summer target has shown no desire to leave Newcastle, giving Howe hope of being able to fend off interest from the capital and keep him among his options heading into the 2024/25 season.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *