May 24, 2024

After turning down three penalty appeals for Nottingham Forest on Sunday, referee Stuart Attwell was given two more significant choices in his next match.

Stuart Attwell was involved in another refereeing farce when he took command of Wolves’ game against Bournemouth, only days after his crucial part in Nottingham Forest’s VAR controversy.

The official was in the spotlight after denying Forest’s three penalty requests in their 2-0 defeat to Everton on Sunday. The club immediately started an assault, enraged by his VAR appointment considering the ongoing relegation battle with Luton Town, the club he backs.

The debate continued at Molineux on Wednesday evening. Instead of being stationed at Stockley Park, he was the focal point of the 90-minute game, making two controversial choices.

The first was to cancel out a Wolves equaliser following an off-the-ball foul by Matheus Cunha and Justin Kluivert. The former’s flailing arm towards the Bournemouth player was not detected in real time, but after being sent to the pitchside monitor by his VAR Darren England, Attwell overruled the goal.

Manager Gary O’Neil declined to comment after full-time, despite previously discussing VAR decisions this season. Instead, he sympathized with the referee and had no reservations about his nomination to the contest.

“No, no worries at all; I hope he is fine. It was a difficult few days for him. “I hope he’s doing well,” O’Neil stated via PA. “I have no thoughts on the choice; I believe it is critical that I focus solely on my team and Wolves.


Referees, VAR finding it difficult to admit own errors



“I’ve spent a lot of time this season answering questions about VAR and rulings, and I don’t have any comments; everyone will observe the incident and make their own decisions. My attention is entirely on us.

“I’ve answered your questions about it so many times after so many games, and all that comes out of it is either me moaning or not moaning about decisions.”

“It doesn’t help anybody, let’s let those guys figure out what is the correct decision and let me figure out how to get this team some more points between now and the end of the season.”

Shortly afterwards, Attwell determined that Cherries defender Milos Kerkez had recklessly challenged Matt Doherty and thus given the red card.

Following the match, Kerkez replied on his X profile: “Three points and an unbelievable red card, football is getting really soft.” His boss, Andoni Iraola, acknowledged that the club will appeal in the coming days, but was in agreement with the disallowed goal.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *